Tuesday, February 26, 2013

BOTTLES, BOTTLES, AND MORE BOTTLES..


My family has long been collectors of rocks.  Hubby was an Earth Science major in college, and our dates consisted of fossil hunting along the Mississippi River, and agate hunting in abandoned quarries.  It started us down a path of looking for the unusual whereever we lived.  We looked for dinosaur bones and gold in South Dakota, sapphires in Montana, diamonds in Arkansas. amethyst in the Smoky Mountains.  For many years, I just stuck the rocks and bones, and bits and pieces in a drawer.  Then I was at a flea market one day and found the most wonderful apothecary bottle with a glass stopper.  I had to have it!  I brought it home, and tried to think of what to do with it.  Then I remember the hematite we had found in the Black Hills.  It was the perfect size to put the stones in!  So I went hunting for more fun bottles, and more, and MORE! Now I have an entire shelf of interesting bottles with memories in them.  It is the favorite place for people to browse when they come to visit me.  What a conversation starter it is to explain where we found the petrified squid tips (in Wyoming, of all places!) And conversation is the start to great friendships...

No comments:

Post a Comment