Tuesday, May 28, 2013

ROUND IS ROUND IS ROUND

I love orbs, round things. I have collected them obsessively for years.  I guess I just like the feel of them.  Round edges are soothing, and earthy.  Here is a variety of my favorites, in a big wire bowl on my coffee table.  I love natural stone orbs, and have several in marble, granite, and agate.  The red one on top is an ancient rubber ball found by one of my children when we were living in historic housing on a fort in Wyoming.  It dates back to about the 30's.  The pale grey orb is especially precious to me, as my son fashioned it out of masonry grout, rolling it for hours and hours to get it shiny and smooth. I have blown glass orbs, done by local artists as well.  I am especially fond of diacroic glass, with hints of the metalic in the color.  I have hand carved balls from the early '20's as well, and even a funny brass ball that came out of an old septic system. You can collect pretty much anything, I guess.  When you put them all together, they become a beautiful grouping of art. Just collect things you love, because people will continue to give you their own version for years!  I had an aunt who collected a few tiny elephants, and it became an unmanagable collection of hundreds by the time she passed away at age 80...I am sure her final words were "I hate elephants!"

No comments:

Post a Comment